This iconic brand was founded in 1856 by 21-year-old dressmaker Thomas Burberry. The first Burberry store opened in Basingstoke at that time with the first London store opening in 1891. 1909 marked the opening of a Burberry store in Paris.
- In 1897 explorer Major F.G. Jackson, famed for mapping parts of the Arctic Circle, is captured in a photo wearing Burberry.
- Burberry supplied clothing and tents for Roald Amundsen and his team become – they became the first people to reach the South Pole..
- A Burberry gabardine jacket was worn by George Mallory on his ill-fated attempt on Mount Everest in 1924.
- In 1914 Burberry was commissioned by the War Office to adapt its officer’s coat to suit the conditions of contemporary warfare, resulting in the “trench coat”. After the war, the trench coat became popular with civilians. The iconic Burberry check was created in the 1920s and used as a lining in its trench coats.
- The company now provides a range of products including clothing, handbags, eyewear, frangrance and beauty.
- The most recognizable pattern offered by Burberry is the “Haymarket” – a classic tan and black check with the Burberry Equestrian Knight.
- The Burberry Foundation was established in 2008 and is a philanthropic organization dedicated to help young people realise their dreams through the power of their creativity.